UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to build 4K Cinema Cameras: The Apertus Prescription includes Zynq ingredients

Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee
0 0 65.2K

I’ve written previously about Apertus, the Belgian company behind the AXIOM open-source 4K cinema camera effort. (See below.) I met with two of the Apertus principals, Sebastian Pichelhofer and Herbert Pötzl, at last month’s Embedded World 2016 in Nuremberg. They carry the coolest business cards I’ve seen in a long, long time:

Apertus Business Cards.jpg

Pichelhofer and Pötzl were making the rounds at the Embedded World show to talk about their 3rd-generation AXIOM camera, the Gamma. This is the big, modular, pro-level 4K cinema camera that leverages the knowledge gained in the design of the AXIOM Alpha and Beta cameras. Like the earlier cameras, the AXIOM Gamma is based on a CMOSIS imager and a Xilinx Zynq-7000 SoC (a Z-7030). The AXIOM Beta is based on an Avnet MicroZed SOM with a Zynq Z-7020 SoC.

Here’s a closeup photo of the AXIOM Beta’s Image Sensor Module:

AXIOM Gamma Imaging Module.jpg

AXIOM Beta 4K Cinema Camera Image Sensor Module

And here’s a photo of the back of the AXIOM Beta Image Sensor Module showing the Zynq-based Avnet MicroZed board that’s currently being used:

AXIOM Gamma Imaging Module Back with MicroZed.jpg

Back Side of AXIOM Gamma 4K Cinema Camera Image Sensor Module showing Avnet MicroZed SOM

The AXIOM Beta is currently operational and the gents from Apertus directed me to the Antmicro booth at the show to see a working model. Here’s a photo from the Antmicro booth:

AXIOM Beta in Antmicro Booth.jpg

A working AXIOM Beta 4K camera in the Antmicro booth

Antmicro, located in Poland, is a partner working with Apertus on the AXIOM camera. Although I didn’t see it at Embedded World, here’s a photo of the AXIOM Gamma Image Sensor Module prototype from the Antmicro Web site:

Antmicro AXIOM Gamma Image Sensor Module Prototype.jpg

AXIOM Gamma 4K Cinema Camera Image Sensor Module

While at the Antmicro booth, I met team leader Karol Gugala, who impressed me with his knowledge of the Zynq-7000 SoC. He’s already developed several Zynq-based projects including a distance-measuring system for an autonomous mining vehicle based on stereo video imagers. Here’s a photo of that project taken at the Antmicro booth:

Antmicro Zynq-based Stereo Distance Measuring Board.jpg

Antmicro Zynq-based Stereo Distance Measuring Board

Although we spoke for only 10 minutes or so, I was really impressed with Gugala’s knowledge and his considerable experience with the Zynq-7000 SoC. I immediately dubbed him “King of Zynq,” in my mind at least. Antmicro is currently working with Apertus on the AXIOM Gamma design and I can hardly wait to see what this international team produces.

Earlier Xcell Daily blog posts about the AXIOM 4K cinema cameras:

Tags (3)