UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 100

by Xilinx Employee ‎09-14-2015 09:30 AM - edited ‎01-06-2016 12:50 PM (10,190 Views)

By Adam Taylor

100.jpg

Untitled stone sculpture by Stonecoat Ind. Installed in 1986 at Granville Street Bridge, Fairview, Vancouver, Canada.

By Jess from Canada

Well this is one blog I certainly never thought I would be writing when I received the very limited Adam Taylor Edition of the Zynq-based MicroZed Eval Kit from Steve back in September 2013. Following a short email conversation of thanks, I agreed to write a few blogs on how to use the Zynq for the new Xcell Daily Blog. As of today, “few” becomes 100.

MicroZed Adam Taylor Special Edition.jpg

What started it all!!!!!!

The blog posts in this series have covered a number of topics: from basics such as “hello world” to very advanced concepts like AMP. Along the way we have introduced new cutting-edge design tools like the recent blogs covering the Xilinx SDSoC Development Environment.

When I look back over this series at the topics we have covered, it is almost like I planned it from the outset. The most popular subjects (based on readership counts) included how to use the XADC and Interrupts on the Zynq SoC. We have returned to these topics several times as the blog has progressed and the additional posts opened up new areas and discussed how we can use these features in real system designs. For instance, we looked at using alarms on the ADC and using software interrupts for communicating between cores when we were looking at AMP (asymmetric multiprocessing).

These blog posts also provided many in-depth tutorials which have hopefully provided you with a deeper understanding of the topics involved. Examples of these tutorials include:

• How to create peripherals for the Zynq SoC’s PL (programmable logic)
  • How we can pull a number of topics together to drive Neo Pixel LED strings
  • Using the SPI to drive an OLED
  • AES example using SDSoC

Moving forward, I intend to focus on more on in-depth examples. Doing so will allow me to demonstrate the benefits of using Zynq SoCs within embedded systems.

It is a great pleasure writing this blog. It shows how sometimes the best things result from unplanned ideas and activities. It can be time consuming at times however. For example, to produce each blog it generally takes on average 10 hours over each weekend. (It can take much more if I am working on an in-depth example) which is quite achievement when you consider this is a weekly blog and I have a day job as one of the Chief Engineers at e2v.

Several of these blogs have been written during long-haul flights and I am currently writing this one from Seoul in South Korea. By my calculations this means over the 100 blogs this equates to about 1000 hours’ worth of work. If we assume a working year is 2087 hours this then means I have spent 3 working months for each year of this blog or 6 months in total.

If you have been following this blog over the years I would love to hear how the blog has helped you develop your Zynq-based systems? I would also love to hear any suggestions for future in depth examples.

Incidentally if you want E book or hardback versions of the MicroZed chronicles you can get them below.

• First Year E Book here
  • First Year Hardback here.

MicroZed Chronicles hardcopy.jpg

• Second Year E Book here
  • Second Year Hardback here

MicroZed Chronicles Second Year.jpg

You also can find links to all the previous MicroZed Chronicles blogs on my own Web site, here.

Labels
About the Author
  • Be sure to join the Xilinx LinkedIn group to get an update for every new Xcell Daily post! ******************** Steve Leibson is the Director of Strategic Marketing and Business Planning at Xilinx. He started as a system design engineer at HP in the early days of desktop computing, then switched to EDA at Cadnetix, and subsequently became a technical editor for EDN Magazine. He's served as Editor in Chief of EDN Magazine, Embedded Developers Journal, and Microprocessor Report. He has extensive experience in computing, microprocessors, microcontrollers, embedded systems design, design IP, EDA, and programmable logic.