UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles, Part 228: Verifying Video Images in Zynq SoC and Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC Memory

by Xilinx Employee ‎12-11-2017 10:37 AM - edited ‎12-15-2017 01:02 PM (9,196 Views)

By Adam Taylor

Getting the best performance from our embedded-vision systems often requires that we can capture frames individually for later analysis in addition to displaying them. Programs such as Octave, Matlab, or Image J can analyze these captured frames, allowing us to examine parameters such as:

• Compare the received pixel values against those expected for a test or calibration pattern.
  • Examine the Image Histogram, enabling histogram equalization to be implemented if necessary.
  • Ensure that the integration time of the imager is set correctly for the scene type.
  • Examine the quality of the image sensor to identify defective pixels—for example dead or stuck-at pixels.
  • Determine the noise present in the image. The noise present will be due to both inherent imager noise sources—for example fixed pattern noise, device noise and dark current—and also due to system noise as coupled in via power supplies and other sources of electrical noise in the system design.

Typically, this testing may occur in the lab as part of the hardware design validation and is often performed before the higher levels of the application software are available.  Such testing is often implemented using a bare-metal approach on the processor system.

If we are using VDMA, the logical point to extract the captured data is from the frame buffer in the DDR SDRAM attached to the Zynq SoC’s or MPSoC’s PS. There are two methods we can use to examine the contents of this buffer:

• Use XSCT terminal to read out the frame buffer and post process it using a TCL script.
  • Output the frame buffer over RS232 or Ethernet using the Light Weight IP Stack and then capturing the image data in a terminal for post processing using a TCL file.

For this example, I am going to use the UltraZed design we created a few weeks ago to examine PL-to-PS image transfers in the Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC (see here). This design rather helpfully uses the test pattern generator to transfer a test image to a frame buffer in the PS-attached DDR SDRAM. In this example, we will extract the test pattern and convert it into a bit-map (BMP) file. Once we have the bit-map file, we can read it into the analysis program of choice.

BMP files are very simple. In the most basic format, they consist of a BMP Header, Device Independent Bitmap (DIB) Header, and the pixel array. In this example the pixel array will consist of 24-bit pixels, using eight bits each for blue, green and red pixel values.

It is important to remember two key facts when generating the pixel array. First, when generating the pixel array each line must be padded with zeros so that its length is a multiple of four, allowing for 32-bit word access. Second, the BMP image is stored upside down in the array. That is the first line of the pixel array is the bottom line of the image.

Combined, both headers equal 54 bytes in length and are structured as shown below:

Image1.jpg

Bitmap Header Construction

Image2.jpg 

DIB Header Construction

Having understood what is involved in creating the file, all we need to do now is gather the pixel data from the PS-attached DDR SDRAM and output it in the correct format.

As we have done several times before in this blog, when we extract the pixel values it is a good idea to double check that the frame buffer contains pixel values. We can examine the contents of the frame buffer using the memory viewer in SDK. However, the view we choose will ease our understanding of the pixel values and hence the frame. This is due to how the VDMA packs the pixels into the frame buffer.

The default view for the Memory viewer is to display 32-bit words as shown below:

Image3.jpg

TPG Test Pattern in memory

The data we are working with has a pixel width of 24 bits. To ensure efficient use of the DDR SDRAM memory, the VDMA packs the 24-bit pixels into 32-bit values, splitting pixels across locations. This can make things a little confusing when we look at the memory contents for expected pixel values. Because we know the image is formatted as 8-bit RGB, a better view is to configure the memory display to list the memory contents in byte order. We then know that each group of three bytes represents one pixel.

Image4.jpg

TPG Test Pattern in memory Byte View

Having confirmed that the frame buffer contains image data, I am going to output the BMP information over the RS232 port for this example. I have selected this interface because it is the simplest interface available on many development boards and it takes only a few seconds to read out even a large image.

The first thing I did in my SDK application was to create a structure that defines the header and sets the values as required for this example:

Image5.jpg 

Header Structure in the application

I then created a simple loop that creates three u8 arrays, each the size of the image. There is one array for each color element. I then used these arrays with the header information to output the BMP information, taking care to use the correct format for the pixel array. A BMP pixel array organizes the pixel element as Blue-Green-Red:

Image6.jpg 

Body of the Code to Output the Image

Wanting to keep the processes automated and without the need to copy and paste to capture the output, I used Putty as the terminal program to receive the output data. I selected Putty because it is capable of saving received data a log file.

Image7.jpg 

Putty Configuration for logging

Of course, this log file contains an ASCII representation of the BMP. To view it, we need to convert it to a binary file of the same values. I wrote a simple TCL script to do this. The script performs the conversion, reading in the ASCII file and writing out the binary BMP File.

Image8.jpg 

TCL ASCII to Binary Conversion Widget

With this complete, we have the BMP image which we can load into Octave, Matlab, or another tool for analysis. Below is an example of the tartan color-bar test pattern that I captured from the Zynq frame buffer using this method:

Image9.jpg

Generated BMP captured from the PS DDR

Now if we can read from the frame buffer, then it springs to mind that we can use the same process to write a BMP image into the frame buffer. This can be especially useful when we want to generate overlays and use them with the video mixer.

We will look at how we do this in a future blog.

You can find the example source code on GitHub.

Adam Taylor’s Web site is http://adiuvoengineering.com/.

If you want E book or hardback versions of previous MicroZed chronicle blogs, you can get them below.

First Year E Book here

First Year Hardback here.

MicroZed Chronicles hardcopy.jpg 

Second Year E Book here

Second Year Hardback here

MicroZed Chronicles Second Year.jpg 

Labels
About the Author
  • Be sure to join the Xilinx LinkedIn group to get an update for every new Xcell Daily post! ******************** Steve Leibson is the Director of Strategic Marketing and Business Planning at Xilinx. He started as a system design engineer at HP in the early days of desktop computing, then switched to EDA at Cadnetix, and subsequently became a technical editor for EDN Magazine. He's served as Editor in Chief of EDN Magazine, Embedded Developers Journal, and Microprocessor Report. He has extensive experience in computing, microprocessors, microcontrollers, embedded systems design, design IP, EDA, and programmable logic.