UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 33: Driving Adafruit RGB NeoPixel LED arrays with the Zynq SoC

by Xilinx Employee ‎05-19-2014 10:15 AM - edited ‎01-07-2016 04:59 PM (23,593 Views)

This blog post continues the discussion about driving Adafruit NeoPixel RGB LED strings. Having explained the NeoPixel drive waveforms, the hardware required to interface to NeoPixels, and NeoPixel power requirements in previous instalments, it is time to look at the architecture of a design solution implemented within the PS (processor system) and PL (programmable logic) side of the Zynq SoC.

Thinking back to the requirements, we want to be able to drive a variable number of Neo Pixels, with the ability to address and update each pixel individually while the program is executing.

Expanding a little more on this, in my mind when I first thought of this demonstration I pictured a GUI running on my lap top with a button for each LED in the array I want to drive. When I click on a particular LED’s button, I want to be able to select a 24-bit color for that LED. Once I select the colors for all of the LEDs, these commands will be downloaded to the Zynq and used to update the state of the NeoPixels.

Figure 1.gif

Jumping ahead a little the Neo Pixel GUI – to give some context

Obviously the PS side will handle all of the communication with the GUI program, storing the pixel values and passing these to the custom Neo Pixel driver within the PL. To ensure reliable communication, I need to define a simple data transfer protocol for use over this interface.

Naturally, this means we need to pass data between the PS and PL sides of the device, which is part of the whole idea of this learning exercise after all. The PS-PL communication solution I have in mind is a dual-port RAM, which allows the PS to write the pixel values via one side and the PL to read out values via the other port.

Each pixel is allocated one address within this RAM. Each RAM location stores the 8-bit green, red, and blue value. The first address of the BRAM will contain the number of pixels to be configured. Setting this to zero will prevent the NeoPixel array from being updated and acts as an enable.

This approach therefore provides the following context diagram of the system solution:

Figure 2.gif 

System Context Diagram

Rather helpfully within Vivado IP Integrator there already exists a number of IP blocks provided in the IP library that provide the functions I require. These IP blocks provide two benefits. They decrease the time it takes for me to get my solution up and running the allow me to focus my design effort in areas where I can add the best value. (Very important should this be for a commercial application).

This solution will use the following IP cores in addition to the PS and PS reset cores:

• AXI Interconnect – provides flexibility of AXI connections within the PL side, for this solution only one AXI master is needed.
  • AXI Bram controller – This allows a for AXI interconnection to the interface to a BRAM, allowing the PS to write into BRAM attached to this controller.
  • Dual-Port BRAM – With one port connected to the AXI BRAM controller and the other to the custom NeoPixel driver.

The block diagram of the completed solution appears below:

Figure 3 v2.gif

At this point, I only really need to write the NeoPixel driver which we will be looking at in the next blog.

Please see the previous entries in this MicroZed series by Adam Taylor:

Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 32: Driving Adafruit RGB NeoPixel LED arrays

Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 31: Systems of Modules, Driving RGB NeoPixel LED arrays

Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 30: The MicroZed I/O Carrier Card

Zynq DMA Part Two – Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 29

The Zynq PS/PL, Part Eight: Zynq DMA – Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 28  

The Zynq PS/PL, Part Seven: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 27

The Zynq PS/PL, Part Six: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 26

The Zynq PS/PL, Part Five: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 25

The Zynq PS/PL, Part Four: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 24

The Zynq PS/PL, Part Three: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 23

The Zynq PS/PL, Part Two: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 22

The Zynq PS/PL, Part One: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 21

Introduction to the Zynq Triple Timer Counter Part Four: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 20

Introduction to the Zynq Triple Timer Counter Part Three: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 19

Introduction to the Zynq Triple Timer Counter Part Two: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 18

Introduction to the Zynq Triple Timer Counter Part One: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 17

The Zynq SoC’s Private Watchdog: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 16

Implementing the Zynq SoC’s Private Timer: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 15

MicroZed Timers, Clocks and Watchdogs: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 14

More About MicroZed Interrupts: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 13

MicroZed Interrupts: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 12

Using the MicroZed Button for Input: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 11

Driving the Zynq SoC's GPIO: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 10

Meet the Zynq MIO: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 9

MicroZed XADC Software: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 8

Getting the XADC Running on the MicroZed: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 7

A Boot Loader for MicroZed. Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles, Part 6 

Figuring out the MicroZed Boot Loader – Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles, Part 5

Running your programs on the MicroZed – Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles, Part 4

Zynq and MicroZed say “Hello World”-- Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles, Part 3

Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles: Setting the SW Scene

Bringing up the Avnet MicroZed with Vivado

Labels
About the Author
  • Be sure to join the Xilinx LinkedIn group to get an update for every new Xcell Daily post! ******************** Steve Leibson is the Director of Strategic Marketing and Business Planning at Xilinx. He started as a system design engineer at HP in the early days of desktop computing, then switched to EDA at Cadnetix, and subsequently became a technical editor for EDN Magazine. He's served as Editor in Chief of EDN Magazine, Embedded Developers Journal, and Microprocessor Report. He has extensive experience in computing, microprocessors, microcontrollers, embedded systems design, design IP, EDA, and programmable logic.