Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

ADC SPARTAN 3E

Hi everybody, 

I'm building a Class-D power amp on the Spartan 3E board.

I seem to have a problem with setting up the ADC-signal.

I've seen some people working with states, so I started the same, but I was wondering how the gain settings should be used.

Can the FPGA determine one way or another if the current GAIN-setting is the optimal one? And how to send the GAIN-setting to the ADC?
Anybody an idea?

Thanks anyways!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

Re: ADC SPARTAN 3E

I seem to have a problem with setting up the ADC-signal.

Please describe the nature of the problem.

I was wondering how the gain settings should be used.

Can the FPGA determine one way or another if the current GAIN-setting is the optimal one?

And how to send the GAIN-setting to the ADC?

I'm not sure if you are asking for FPGA code or if you are looking for the device datasheets for the ADC and PGA.

Have you already read the User Guide for the board?

Have you already read the ADC and PGA datasheets, with data interface and controls information?

Is this the Spartan-3e Starter Kit board?

With working logic design and the application of a suitable reference signal to the PGA/ADC, of course "the FPGA" can verify and adjust the gain setting.

Anybody an idea?

Your post is just a little bit vague for clear and concise "ideas".  Some additional details from you should help, though.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

I'm trying to compare an audiosignal with a triangular wave, the compare-unit and triangular wave unit are allready ok, but I don't exactly know how to use the preamp.

Do I just connect the audiosignal to the board (indeed starter's kit) and will the FPGA automaticly convert the signal in to two's complement value? Or do I have to program (I use VHDL) first the preamp and then link it with the incoming audio-signal?

Also can the preamp decide on it's own which value must be used? Or how am I supposed to program such a thing?

thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

Your questions are fairly basic, and they cover a fairly broad range of topics.  Quite honestly, it would be best if you found a hardware engineer who could help you in person, face to face.  The sort of questions you pose -- and the likely followup subjects -- are not easily answered in one or two forum posts.

Maybe someone else reading this thread will have a different assessment, and join this thread.

Is this a school project, by chance?  If so, then your instructor should be able to point you to helpful "resources".

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Allright, I will look for somebody as you told me, I thought it was perhaps something very simple I didn't consider, but thanks anyways!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

Allright, I will look for somebody as you told me, I thought it was perhaps something very simple I didn't consider, but thanks anyways!

It's not all that simple.

It involves understanding hardware in general, including how FPGAs (and hardware) work.

When you wrote the following, you made it clear that you need help translating your ideas to real hardware.

Do I just connect the audiosignal to the board (indeed starter's kit) and will the FPGA automaticly convert the signal in to two's complement value? Or do I have to program (I use VHDL) first the preamp and then link it with the incoming audio-signal?  Also can the preamp decide on it's own which value must be used? Or how am I supposed to program such a thing?

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
0 Kudos