UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor houandreas
Visitor

Base reference design Sp601 cannot connect

Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm new in FPGA, have a SP601 evalulation kit. I'm using window7 with virtual PC. I've ran all BIST in that FPGA and it works. But the Base Reference Design always shows not connected to FPGA. I've tried all method I found online but all helpless. I'm considering now to change my OS to XP but I think it's better to ask first if anyone ever tried it like me with virtual PC. And for what do I need BRD? do I need it to download my project to FPGA or just to test and run some examples? Is there any alternative software for me to download the program? i'm learning VHDL but dont know how to download it in the FPGA.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Base reference design Sp601 cannot connect

Jump to solution

To download a design to the board, generally you will do that with a bitfile, or load an imagine into memory and then configure from memory. For the SP601 in ISE you should be using the impact tool to program the device with a bitfile. The reason you likely cannot get a connection to the board is due to the virtual machine. In ISE with impact, you can run into driver issues. for our jtag cables. Since you are just beginning, i would stick with as simple of a setup as you can, and just use a direct JTAG connection to your PC without the virtual machine. 

What tutorial are you following, and what step exactly are you getting stuck on?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Jump to solution

Hello @houandreas,

What do you mean by base reference design not connected to FPGA ?

which reference design you are following ?

What are the steps taken to implement the design ?

Are you following all the steps given in the document correctly ?

Please explain in detail and what error message you see in the tool.

Thank you.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

To download a design to the board, generally you will do that with a bitfile, or load an imagine into memory and then configure from memory. For the SP601 in ISE you should be using the impact tool to program the device with a bitfile. The reason you likely cannot get a connection to the board is due to the virtual machine. In ISE with impact, you can run into driver issues. for our jtag cables. Since you are just beginning, i would stick with as simple of a setup as you can, and just use a direct JTAG connection to your PC without the virtual machine. 

What tutorial are you following, and what step exactly are you getting stuck on?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Visitor houandreas
Visitor

Jump to solution

thanks for your answer. now I have ran some simple examples on board successfully. I was stucked when I was following the user guide to use the Base Reference Design Interface, which allow me to evaluate some implementations. Now still i can't make it connect to my board. But I guess it won't affect me to programm and use this board. So I decide just to move on and skip the BRDI.

0 Kudos
Visitor houandreas
Visitor

Jump to solution

hi, I was following the user guide to use the Base Reference Design Interface, which can only run on Windows XP, that why I used a virtual PC. I followed every step as the user guide said but cannot connect to my board. I was confused if I have to use this software to connect my board. But now I know I can directly use ISE and Impact to program the board. I was so dumm....So now I decide just skip this part and move on. thank you anyway

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hey Houandreas, Glad we could help.

- Hit the Accept Solution when you get one. 

0 Kudos
Visitor jhuenuqu
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hello, I have a similar problem. I'm trying to run Base System Reference Desing for SP601 (Document UG523, pag 12), but I can't to connect the application with the FPGA -I followed all the steps-.

How I could not run  BSRD with the factory setting, I downloaled the source file "SP601_BRD_rfd003.zip", I changed the following fields (SP601_BRD.v):

• MY_MAC: with the MAC address prints in the PCB (line 79)
  • SERVER_MAC: with PC MAC address  (line 78)

I loaded the new file, but the answer was the same.

What happend? Why I can't run the BSRD?. I need to use the ethernet port, so I need to understand what happend?

Best regards.

0 Kudos