UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Board definition files for Spartan 3A DSP VSK

Hi

I have Xtreme DSP Spartan 3A DSP 3400 Video starter kit.

1. How to build and download "Camera frame buffer demo"? It runs only from original CF.  When I compile and download demo project (it was on CD delivered with kit) it doesn't work.

2. Where can I get board definition files (XBD & UCF) for this board for EDK (I use 10.1.03)? I can't find it anywhere.

Thanks you for your reply

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Board definition files for Spartan 3A DSP VSK

The XtremeDSP 3A DSP 3400 Board is in EDK only as the general XtremeDSP 3A DSP 3400 Board.

There is not specific XBD and UCF for the  VSK, you just need to use the generic XtremeDSP 3A DSP 3400 board XBD if you want to start a new project.

Since you are just trying to rebuild the demo's, you should not need a new XBD and UCF file.  You should be able to just rebuild using the VSK v2.0 design files in 10.1.03, as they have been tested are known to work.

If you are still having problems, you can open a case with the Xilinx Technical Support and they will be able to help you.

Chris
Video Design Hub | Embedded SW Support

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to Reply, Kudo, and Accept as Solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Newbie dspham

Hi

I am also a newbie to the complex world of FPGA and the Camera Frame Buffer demo does not work for me either. After generating the bitstream/elf and downloading to the board, I get an impression that the compilation, linking, and downloading are all successful from the Console

'4': Programmed successfully.
Elapsed time =      5 sec.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
INFO:iMPACT:2219 - Status register values:
INFO:iMPACT - 0011 1111 1111 1100
INFO:iMPACT:579 - '4': Completed downloading bit file to device.
INFO:iMPACT - '4': Checking done pin....done.
Done!

But then the video output is just a blank screen and the Hyper Terminal Window (connect to the board via Serial port) does not respond.

I've tried different combinations of pressing different buttons but not succeed.

If I try the demo on the compact flash card that comes with the board, the "camera frame buffer" demo works well.

Could anyone give me some advice? My board is Spartan 3A DSP 3400 Video Starter Kit, I am using ISE 10.1.03 with all SP3 updates.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Newbie dspham

I eventually got it working. So here are the lessons I've learnt for those newbies who have the same problem. The problem is because the lack of Step-by-Step guide from Xilinx, who only provides half of what you think you buy.

Preliminary

-Software: make sure you install the SP3 updates including: ISE update, IP update, EDK update, board update

-Hardware: the monitor that is connected to the FPGA board needs to be always on (other wise the IIC Display Core will likely fail). Try to get familiar with 3 buttons on the board: the System ACE button (for reboot the whole system), FPGA button (for reseting the FPGA mode, and the Reset button (to restart the application). The System ACE button and FPGA button are next to each other and near the top end of the LCD, whilst the Reset button is near the power switch. Be also reminded that the USB Cable connected to the JTAG box can be sometimes unrealiable and the windows driver may not function properly. If any error message regarding USB cable is displayed in the Console of XPS, you can unplug the USB cable and plug it again.  Remember also to plug the camera into the first camera port, though it is not important because in the source code it also attemp to check the second port for camera there.

Instructions:

- Open the demo project in XPS, follow the step to generate the netlist and bitstream for the hardware part. This might takes quite a while (5 minutes or more depending on your PC).

- Follow the standard procedure: Mark the software project to BRAM, then build the application.

- Open a Hyper Terminal and establish a Connection to the FPGA board via the suitable COM port. Select Baud rate to 9600.

- Turn on the board, it will boot from the CF card. You must make sure the menu that lists the demos are shown on the screen. If you do not see anything on the screen, keep pressing the System ACE button until this is displayed. In the Hyper Terminal window, you should also see a menu in text.

- It might be useful to run the Camera Frame Buffer Demo from the menu to make sure the camera is properly plugged into the board.

- Press the FPGA button (next to the System ACE button) to go into FPGA mode (I don't think it is necessary, but to me it seems more reliable)

- From the menu "Device Configuration" in XPS, select Download bitstream. Look at the console message for the successful operation, and when it completes it is often displayed "Done!". If there is any error, you need to understand what the error is to fix.

- From the menu "Debug" in XPS, Select "Launch XMD" to open a Command window. It takes few seconds for this Debug window to appear. If successful, it returns a prompt for you to execute commands. Type "cd Camera_Frame_Buffer_Sw" to navigate to the software folder. Then type "dow executable.elf" to download the binaries to the board. This might take few seconds. If successful, you can type "start" to start the demo.

- You can also look at the Hyper Terminal Window and it should tell you about how the clock is initialized, and whether camera is detected and other initialization information. If it does not show anything, press the reset button to see it can help.

- You can also modify the source code (vsk_top.c) to try few simple modifications for your need.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

hi, thankyou very much DSPHAM for this but I am not even able to generate bitstream. It gives the error of "invalid target package " in the very start.

I have already updated ISE, ISE IP and EDK to sp3, what else should i do so that XPS could recognize that board i.e "spartan 3a 3400".

please help as i have have to build my own apllication on that demo and i have very less time left for project submission

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

you have mentioned board update, where would i get this?

0 Kudos
Newbie dspham

I downloaded all updates from

http://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.htm

then click on 10.1SP3 in the left of the page, it will bring up a list of updates.

I installed the following updates (total 5 updates) in the following order (not sure if that is important or not)

- ISE foundation (675MB for Windows 32 bit)

- DSP Tool update (201MB)

- EDK update (365MB)

- ISE IP update ( 730MB)

- Device support update (107MB - Automotive S3A/3ADSP Devices)

There are also other updates but they are not relevant to my project so I did not need (such as PlanAhead).

My advice is to start everything from beginning. You need to completely uninstall the previous installation, including running the uninstaller and manually delete

C:\Xilinx

C:\.Xilinx and

C:\Document and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Xilinx

This gives you a clean computer to start with.

After installing the software and the updates, you should UNZIP all the files in the CD under Demonstration\EDK to say C:\EDK.

Try to open any XPS project file here. If there is any error, try to guess what it means.

Good luck!