cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sunyata
Visitor
Visitor

Boards suitable for video/image processing and neural networks applications

I'm thinking about bying a board for the application I'm developing and some advice from more experienced FPGA developers would be helpful.

My goal is to build an efficient architecture for the real-time simulation of neural networks. I'm also going to use a camera in order to get some visual data from the environment and, after some preprocessing, feed the network with this data. I'd rather focus on the development of the neural network and not so much on the front-end (video capture/preprocessing). So, I think that the video starter kit (http://www.xilinx.com/products/devkits/DO-S3ADSP-VIDEO-SK-UNI-G.htm) would be fine for this purpose since it comes with a camera and reference desings to get me started. I could use microblaze and write some simple C/C++ routines for the preprocessing stage. My problem is that this board is based on the Spartan-3A DSP 3400A which is the most powerful of the spartan family but might not be as powerful as I would like it to be (neural networks are computationally demanding). What are the alternatives? Could I order this board but ask that the spartan FPGA be replaced by a more powerful Virtex FPGA? I was also thinking to start with the video starter kit and later, if need be, get another virtex board and connect the two boards so that the spartan does the video processing and virtex hosts the neural network. Is it easy to "cascade" two boards? Any other alternatives?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
hungnm_bk

hi all,

I have a project that  i must implement a model of neural network on FPGA platform.

Who did implement NNs on FPGA? Can you help me ? I intend to implement Back Propagation on FPGA, please give me some advices.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
raj.seelam
Contributor
Contributor

Sunyata,

Our partner Avnet has just released a video kit based on the powerful new Spartan-6 FPGA. This kit has a large Spartan-6 LX150T device which has many additional features compared to the S3-3400A device including built-in transceivers.

You can find more details on either of these webpages:

www.xilinx.com/s6ivk

www.em.avnet.com/spartan6video

- Raj

0 Kudos
alexpap
Visitor
Visitor

BTW, are there any daughter video boards available for ML510 or ML605?

0 Kudos
raj.seelam
Contributor
Contributor

Alex,

The above mentioned video kit from Avnet has a couple of video daughter-cards that are in the FMC form-factor. These should also work on the ML605, but please check with your local Avnet representative.

For a more comprehensive listing of FMC products, please visit:

http://www.vita.com/proddir/productsearch.php?searchText=fmc&Submit=Find

Regards,

- Raj Seelam

0 Kudos