UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant metehanaltunlu
Participant

Changing oscillator on Spartan-3E starter kit...

Hello,

As you know, there exists a 50MHz. oscillator on Spartan-3E starter kit.

Is it possible to change it to 100 MHz.? or what is the range of frequencies that we can use  for the oscillator on Spartan-3E starter kit?

I can see that the same oscillator is connected to on board CPLD that does some memory configuration work. I wonder if  changing this oscillator effects the operation of CPLD and/or the other components on the board.

Do you have any idea?

Thank you

metehan

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Instructor
Instructor

Re: Changing oscillator on Spartan-3E starter kit...

If you only need the 100 MHz inside the Spartan 3E FPGA, it is much better to

just use a DCM to boost the frequency instead of changing the oscillator.

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Participant

Thank you for the answer,

Yes i know and used DCMs to generate different clocks. But ,as you know, DCMs add jitter on the clock, so for the applications that require very low jitter, i want to know if i can change the crystal oscillator to 100MHz. (or otrher higher frequencies) and whether this change effect the operation of on board CPLD?

Mete

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

@metehanaltunlu wrote:

Thank you for the answer,

Yes i know and used DCMs to generate different clocks. But ,as you know, DCMs add jitter on the clock, so for the applications that require very low jitter, i want to know if i can change the crystal oscillator to 100MHz. (or otrher higher frequencies) and whether this change effect the operation of on board CPLD?

Mete

Sure you can change the oscillator, if you're handy with SMT rework.

As to whether it affects anything else -- look at the schematic and see if that oscillator goes anywhere other than the FPGA.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Participant

Yes, as i said before, the same oscillator goes to on board CPLD that does some memory configuration work for FPGA. Do you think changing oscillator makes on board CPLD work incorrectly in terms of memory configuration work?

And if it doesn't effect CPLD, what is the range that i can change the oscillator frequency?

Mete

0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

Unless I looked at the wrong schematic, I thought that kit had at least two oscillator

sockets, so you shouldn't need to change the existing oscillator, just add another one.

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer scrts
Observer

True, added mine like this: 100MHz clock