Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pjf_57
Visitor
Visitor

Continued cable connection problems

Hi team,

I have an ML605 board which I program via the USB cable that came with the kit and a Toshiba Qosmio Laptop running Win7 and ISE 13.1 (nt64) 0.40d.

Almost always when I begin work on my project, I cannot get Impact to connect with the board. Always:

GUI --- Auto connect to cable...
AutoDetecting cable. Please wait.
PROGRESS_START - Starting Operation.
Connecting to cable (Usb Port - USB21).
Checking cable driver.
 Driver file xusb_emb.sys found.
 Driver version: src=1029, dest=1029.
 Driver windrvr6.sys version = 10.2.1.0. WinDriver v10.21 Jungo (c) 1997 - 2010 Build Date: Aug 31 2010 x86_64 64bit SYS 14:14:44, version = 1021.
Cable connection failed.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT1).
Checking cable driver.
 Driver windrvr6.sys version = 10.2.1.0. WinDriver v10.21 Jungo (c) 1997 - 2010 Build Date: Aug 31 2010 x86_64 64bit SYS 14:14:44, version = 1021.
Cable connection failed.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT2).
Checking cable driver.
Cable connection failed.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT3).
Checking cable driver.
Cable connection failed.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT4).
Checking cable driver.
Cable connection failed.
PROGRESS_END - End Operation.
Elapsed time =      3 sec.
Cable autodetection failed.

I try rebooting, restarting ISE, powering up the ML605 with and without USB cable connected to laptop. Nothing seems to work reliably. Often it takes an hour or two of "messing around" and then magically it suddenly works. and then keeps working without problem until the next weekend when I take up my project again.

It is totally frustrating and I always lose an hour or two trying to get it to work. I can see no pattern to when it works and when it doesnt.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Peter

0 Kudos
6 Replies
eteam00
Instructor
Instructor

This matches my experience, and my workaround is to not reboot or disconnect until rebooting is unavoidable (software update, windows crash, memory leak, etc.).  This windows driver has historically been - and continues to be - a weak point in the Xilinx toolset and, yes, it is very frustrating and seemingly random.

Some hardware (motherboard, USB chipset, Windows version) may be more reliable combinations with the Windows driver and Platform Cable.  I do not have the resources to regression test a number of combinations.  You may have access to other laptops or desktop machines, and it's worth a try to find one which happens to work better than your laptop.  Then use this machine for your "link" station.

My only other suggestion is to open a webcase.  Perhaps there are some secrets lurking around in Xilinx for improving reliability.

Apparently this problem doesn't afflict enough Xilinx customers to commission a rigorous re-design effort for this driver.  The problem, however, is not that the driver fails 1% of the time.  The problem is that the driver fails for 1% of the customers 95% of the time. (The 1% figure is pulled out of thin air, I have no figures or statistics to back this up).

Peter, if you do find a reliable solution, please share it with the forum community.  Any information or helpful suggestions would be appreciated by those who might benefit from your experience.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

At the time of ML605 development, the windows-7 support is not there (Refer http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/40705.htm ).

For the time being please use Windows-XP

0 Kudos
tinajchou
Visitor
Visitor

Hi Peter,

I ran into a similar problem running ChipScope in Win7 and ISE 13.2 on my desktop computer. I installed ISE 13.4 and it seemed to solve the problem. Perhaps the new version includes updates for the USB driver?

Tina

0 Kudos
eteam00
Instructor
Instructor

ran into a similar problem running ChipScope in Win7 and ISE 13.2 on my desktop computer. However, I installed ISE 13.4 and it seemed to solve this problem.

Don't change a single thing, Tina!

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
bmarechal
Participant
Participant

I run on Windows XP and I have the same similar problems, cable being randomly detected by Windows.

0 Kudos
eteam00
Instructor
Instructor

bmarechal,

Download and install the latest version of ISE (or the Lab Tools, which includes iMPACT and the USB driver).  Try different USB ports.

If you still have a problem, you should open a webcase.

You might also consider using the Digilent USB-JTAG cable hardware and/or software.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
0 Kudos