cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hanua
Observer
Observer

Help picking eval board.

I need to pick an evaluation board which I will use to familiarize myself with FPGA design for DSP applications.

The general usage will be to use an external ADC to implement various filtering/shaping algorithms and output some data to a PC.

I'm sort of confused as to what eval kits to look at. I've looked at the Virtex-6 but am unsure of how much better it is compared to the Virtex-5 for this sort of application.

Can someone suggest me some kits? This is entirely for signal processing.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
awillen
Mentor
Mentor

• What's your budget? To what edition of ISE do you have access?
  • Do you have any minimum performance requirements?
  • Is the ADC on a separate card? If yes, what connectors does it have?

Generally, the Virtex-5 and Virtex-6 SXT are intended for high-speed signal processing. However, all Virtex FPGAs provide basic DSP functionality, so if all you want to do is to get familiar with DSP on FPGAs, then any V-5 or V-6 will do.

Adrian

Please google your question before asking it.
If someone answers your question, mark the post with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left).
0 Kudos
hanua
Observer
Observer

Well ideally I would like to take any ADC any implement it on a PCB with the FPGA on it for the pulse processing and eventually program the FPGA using JTAG connector. But before I can do any design, I need to familiarize myself with FPGAs. 

Are there any eval kits with sampling ADC's built it? Or do I have to provide my own. I'm just really confused at the available choices.

Also, budget is not really too much of an issue as this is for Academic purposes. It shouldn't be anything outrageous either, so lets say less than $3000.

0 Kudos
awillen
Mentor
Mentor

Every Virtex-5 and Virtex-6 contains a 10-bit, 200-kSPS ADC.

Furthermore, there exist extension cards which provide ADCs: this page lists a couple for V-6 boards (V-5 boards have different connectors, but I'm sure that similar cards exists for it as well). I would recommend the ML605 or the Avnet Virtex-6 FPGA DSP Kit. If you want to go with Virtex-5, consider the ML506 or the XUPV5 (only for academia; equivalent to the ML505 but with a much larger FPGA).

But as I said before, if all you want to do is get aquainted with FPGAs, you don't need a special DSP board – even small FPGAs are sufficient for your first steps. However, for larger applications, an SXT model is the way to go.

And just in case you didn't know: academics can get the ISE System Edition for free.

Adrian

Please google your question before asking it.
If someone answers your question, mark the post with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left).
0 Kudos