cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

KC705 Live DVD Boot Failure

I have purchased the KC705 eval board and have attempted to boot from the Live DVD supplied in the kit, but the process stalls at "Started Display Manager       [OK]".  I have attached a screen shot of the stalled process. 

I am booting on a Dell Precision 3431 workstation with 32GB of ram and a core i9 processor.

20200222_072432.jpg

Any help would be greatly apppreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted

Re: KC705 Live DVD Boot Failure

Hello seanpsneed@gmail.com ,

Were you able to overcome this issue by now or are you still require assistance on this problem? Can you confirm on this please? Thanks in advance

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Anatoli,

thank you, but no, I haven't been able to resolve it.  I think it is an incompatibility with my computer and the drivers that the DVD is attempting to load.  I don't have another PC to test this theory on.  Can we discuss off line via my email account/login name?

-Sean

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello seanpsneed@gmail.com ,

Thanks for the info.

As indicated in this Answer Record , the ISO image of the Fedora 16 Live DVD (Fedora 16.2) provided with 7 Series Boards and Kits, so the KC705 ship with a live DVD of Fedora 16. This operating system is needed to run the associated Targeted Reference Designs for those boards.
You are required to have system administrator rights to boot from this Fedora 16 disk. 

Do you have the admin rights for this machine?

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Anatoli,

I downloaded and was able to boot Enterprise Desktop RedHat 6.5, which is listed as one of the compatible versions for this version of Vivado, but of course this didn't allow me to run the Live DVD.  I can try to do the same with Fedora 16 if you think it will help.  I do have admin privileges.  Also, I have been able to boot from other live CD's, like from the most recent version of Ubuntu without a problem.  As you can see in the screen shot, the boot process starts, but halts after a couple of minutes.

If I download Fedora 16, won't it include some up-to-date backported drivers/patches that weren't available when the original version was created?  If so, wouldn't this make it more compatible with my modern hardware than say the image on the live DVD?

Thanks for your help.

-Sean

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi,

I downloaded and burned a Fedora 16 64 bit iso image from here and attempted to boot. 

https://archives.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/releases/16/Live/x86_64/

It didn't get very far as you can see in this screen shot.

20200319_032727_crop.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I tried the 32 bit version of Fedora 16 with similar results.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I have tried downloading, burning and booting from the Fedora 16 Full DVD found here:

https://archives.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/releases/16/Fedora/x86_64/iso/

The boot progressed a little further, but never fully succeeded20200319_050242_crop.jpg.

0 Kudos