Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

LINUX driver for ML505 needed

Hi:

I've done a number of searches but have come up empty.  Found some threads where ppl talk about using/developing one, with the promise of 'posting it when done' but have seen nothing.

Does anybody have any pointers to one?  It doesn't matter what kernel, version, or even if it is a skeleton...

I am using Linux v3.2, so ideally, something that runs under that version of Linux is preferred.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Re: LINUX driver for ML505 needed

j,

Driver to do what, exactly?\

An ML505 does nothing without a bitstream loaded into it, so it is a completely blank sheet of paper (so to speak).

Until you program the FPGA device to do something, you can not even begin to talk about a driver.

I suggest you look at "hardware co-simulation" because that application DOES have drivers to perform the task (hardware co-simulation).  Perhaps that might be useful?

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are correct and I apologizer for the generalness of my question.   I guess there are two part of the driver question:

The first part is an interface program that will pass to the Linux OS  ml505 specifics such as mfg ID, config info, etc.

So the functionality I see the driver having is when Linux probes the PCI bus, the ML505 will be correctly recognized.

The second part is applicaition specific information.  In my application, I want to pass data through a set of registers, and I want the register memory locations to be mapped into 'device registers' associated with the 'device' I am trying to make in the FPGA.

The functionality that the 'driver' would posess is to pass data to the ML505 through via a shared memory concept, as well as get data from the ML505.  Since I've never been down this road before, my impression is that there would be a 'template' of a driver that could recognized and communicate from Linux to the ML505, with some generic sections of code that could be configured in or out, depending on what functionality of the ml505 one wanted to use.

-J

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

http://www.xilinx.com/products/boards/ml505/ml505_12.1/pcie.htm

Have you looked at this reference design?

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos