UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor andrea_ltt
Visitor

Program FPGA failed (ZedBoard, Vivado 2017.3 on Ubuntu)

I'm following the tutorials from the Zynq Book, but I'm getting an error when trying to program the FPGA from the SDK. The error message says:

"Program FPGA failed

Reason:

Could not find FPGA device on the board for connection 'Local'."

I'm using a Diligent ZedBoard and Vivado 2017.3 on Ubuntu 16.04.1 in a VMware Fusion VM on Mac.

I followed the same tutorial on a Windows 7 VM and it works properly, so I suspect it's a Linux related issue. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Re: Program FPGA failed (ZedBoard, Vivado 2017.3 on Ubuntu)

Open the hardware manager and try to make a JTAG connection to the board.   If this doesn't work, you probably have a driver issue in connecting to the card.   Remember, on Linux boxes, installing the JTAG drivers is NOT automatic when vivado is installed,  it's a separate manual step.  

For Linux you need to follow the procedure outlined in the readme.txt 

<Vivado installation dir>/data/xicom/cable_drivers/lin64/install_script/install_drivers/readme.txt

Although in 2017.4, I didn't find a readme file, just some shell scripts to be executed via sudo..   With Vivado 2017.4 it's just:

sudo install_digilent.sh 

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.
Visitor andrea_ltt
Visitor

Hi 

0 Kudos

Is there any other instance of vivado which is trying to access the board? If so please try to close all the vivado HW manager and re-initiate the connection.
Thanks.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor andrea_ltt
Visitor

Hi harshit, there shouldn’t be any other instance open. However, if I check with ps there are two processes called vivado among the running processes. When I close Vivado both of them shutdown. Is that normal?
0 Kudos
Visitor mithunsaha
Visitor

Hi,

Are you trying to program the FPGA through Ubuntu virtual machine? I had same problem and couldn't resolve it. So, I had to install ubuntu as dual boot system.

Kind Reagrds,

Mithun

0 Kudos
Visitor andrea_ltt
Visitor

Hi Mithun, yes, I have Ubuntu in a virtual machine. Uhm, what a bummer. At least it works under a Windows VM.

0 Kudos
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

I've used a JTAG cable before with a Ubuntu virtual machine..   First of all, you need to make sure that there are no drivers for the JTAG cable in the Host OS.    Remove them.     Then make sure the virtual machine (I'm assuming you are using Virtual Box) has the USB extension package installed.   Then after plugging in the JTAG cable,  go to the Devices menu and connect the JTAG USB device to the virtual machine.    Then the VM guest OS (Ubuntu) should see the cable.

Confirm this with "lsusb" on the Ubuntu command line.  

0 Kudos
Visitor andrea_ltt
Visitor

jmcclusk, I'm not really sure what the JTAG cable should look like in Linux. Physically, I just connect a regular USB cable to connector J17 on the ZedBoard. I'm using VMware Fusion, not VirtualBox, anyway the USB device is connected to the guest OS.

The ZedBoard shows up as follows with "lsusb:"

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0403:6014 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232H Single HS USB-UART/FIFO IC

0 Kudos
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

This is encouraging that your Guest OS can see the usb connection.    My only suggestion now is to reboot the guest OS, connect the USB to it, and try it again.

0 Kudos