Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

SYSMON registers access via I2C on VCU108 EVM

Jump to solution

To access SYSMON registers, the Xilinx’s VCU108 EVM uses two I2C voltage translators (PCA9306) to convert 1.8V rail to 3.3V rail and then back to 1.8V rail (via another PCA9306) instead of a direct connection from UltraScale FPGA Output to Input. Please let us know the need and use of these level translators.

Also in our case, we need to read the SYSMON resistors. We are planning to directly connect the I2C lines from the FPGA to its own SYSMON interface pins. Please confirm if this is fine.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: SYSMON registers access via I2C on VCU108 EVM

Jump to solution

@raja1 Check the I2C Bus topology of VCU108 in Page 73 of UG1066 http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/vcu108/ug1066-vcu108-eval-bd.pdf

The level translators are used to combine the FPGA and System Controller I2C to a single I2C line and then connected to I2C Mux switches for further access of I2C devices. 

In your case, if you just want access to SYSMON registers through FPGA I2C, connecting the FPGA I2C line directly to SYSMON I2C lines should be fine if you are using them at same voltage. 

- Giri
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
Keep conversing, give Kudos and Accept Solution when you get one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted

Re: SYSMON registers access via I2C on VCU108 EVM

Jump to solution

@raja1 Check the I2C Bus topology of VCU108 in Page 73 of UG1066 http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/vcu108/ug1066-vcu108-eval-bd.pdf

The level translators are used to combine the FPGA and System Controller I2C to a single I2C line and then connected to I2C Mux switches for further access of I2C devices. 

In your case, if you just want access to SYSMON registers through FPGA I2C, connecting the FPGA I2C line directly to SYSMON I2C lines should be fine if you are using them at same voltage. 

- Giri
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
Keep conversing, give Kudos and Accept Solution when you get one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos