UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple PCIe (PCI express) endpoint interface to Block RAM Module example or tutorial

I want to generate most basic PCIe core (board is ML605, but it really does not matter), and connect / interface it to Block RAM module on FPGA. No DMA is required: I only want to see how one word of data is written to Block RAM, from PCIe Core's (Endpoint's) interface and what signals are used. I can either generate Block RAM, or just wrie it:

module myRAM( clock, writeEnable, address, data);

input clock;

// etc

reg [DATA_WIDTH-1:0] myBlockRam[ 0:ADDRESS_WIDTH ];

// etc

endmodule

As I understand, TLP packets are used. I studied TLP interface and know it well. Xilinx uses AXI wrappers to interface "User Interfaces" such as DRAM, etc.

Do I need to AXI interface (wrapper) for PCIe's endpoint to interface with simple Block RAM, or can I just use TLP to "User Interface" (such as Block Ram module) directly which is preferred way. Any examples or turorials will be appreciated, too.

It appears that I can just instantiate my own Block RAM module with AXI interface as on page 90 of http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/v6_pcie/v2_5/ug671_V6_IntBlock_PCIe.pdf

FSM inside of my Block RAM module will handle the AXI signaling, TLP encoding/decoding, etc.

How do I then connect my Block RAM module to instantiated PCIe Endpoint (core)?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Simple PCIe (PCI express) endpoint interface to Block RAM Module example or tutorial

There's a relatively new app note that might help (XAPP1171), although it only targets Kintex and Zynq.

0 Kudos