UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor rsilvas
Visitor

Simple example of ML605 PCIe

Can anyone provide a simple example of using the PCIe interface on the ML605 board?  We used the PCIe coregen and successfully uploaded the generated bit file to FPGA.  I'm stuck interfacing it from the PCIe side.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Participant ra7
Participant

Re: Simple example of ML605 PCIe

Xilinx has quite a bit of documentation for the Virtex-6 ML605 PCIe.

http://www.xilinx.com/products/boards/ml605/reference_designs.htm

I followed through the PCIe demo that came with my Virtex-6 connectivity board (see: ug664_1_3.pdf and the reference designs attached to the Virtex-6 connectivity development board web site).

I did not design any PCIe projects from scratch as it isn't my research area with the board, but I found the examples very informative and getting them set-up and running didn't prove too difficult.

Hope that helps.

------------------------------------------------------
Recreational FPGA Explorer.
Visitor rsilvas
Visitor

Yes ra7 this was helpful information, I was able to generate the core and used the example verilog files but my problem lies with writing code that will talk to the board i.e. PC to ML605. This maybe a "no brainer" to some but I don’t have much experience with this. I was hoping to find information or example code that will do this for me. The user PDFs use PCie tree for addressing but I'm running a real time Linux and PCIe tree doesn't run on Linux. I'm not sending a whole lot of information via PCIe (at most 175 bits).

0 Kudos
Participant ra7
Participant

In UG664.pdf the demo runs the fedora liveCD and uses the performance monitor application to transmit test data to the board via PCIe.

See pages 14-22 in the document.

Hopefully someone who has experience with running PCIe FPGA projects under Linux will be able to help you out more.

------------------------------------------------------
Recreational FPGA Explorer.
0 Kudos
Visitor rsilvas
Visitor

Once again thank you ra7 yes I have noticed the pages 14-22 but I guess I should have mentioned that I only have the ML605 board and not the connectivity kit. At the time of purchase the connectivity kit was not offered and the usb flash drive that came with the Ml605 only had windows drivers along with linux usb drivers. So we've been trying to create the drivers and had minimum success, I came to the forums to see if anyone can help or if they have a link to where I can download the drivers along with a simple test code to do something trivial like send a word from fpga to pc and back.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

This post would probably be better answered in the Boards and Kits Forum.  I will move this over for you.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Hello rsilvas,

You can find a targeted reference design, that features PCIe, here:

http://www.xilinx.com/products/boards/v6conn/reference_designs.htm

Linux drivers are part of this package as is an eval version of a 3rd party DMA engine. While the design is meant to be run with a connectivity kit, which is ML605 + XM104, you should be able to customize it to run just on the ML605.

Regards,

- Raj

0 Kudos
Visitor briandurwood
Visitor

We also need a reference design for the ML605 PCIe to host connection

Hi,

We are scrambling to get this running for a governemtn client in the UK. Is there a reliable, working PCIe to host reference design available?

Thanks very much!

0 Kudos
Visitor briandurwood
Visitor

Did you ever get a working PCIe to host reference design? we need one too. Thanks. Brian Durwood of Impulse.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

FYI: 

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/xtp084.pdf  à ML605 hardware set-up guide

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/ug533.pdf   àML605 Getting started guide

http://www.xilinx.com/products/boards/ml605/reference_designs.htm         à ML605 Allreference designs

Thanks & Regards

Mahesh

Kind Request:

To users: Kindly accept particular post which helped you.

To forum moderator: Please KUDO ,

Mahesh
0 Kudos