Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

VC707 board power source

Hello

For a long time, while we were using VC707 board connected to PCIe slot of a PC we were supplying power to VC707 with its adaptor.

When we try ATX Power Supply Adaptor Cable to give power to VC707 board from the mainboard of PC we encounter some problems.

When we turn on SW12 of VC707 when the PC is on, sometimes the PC is turned off.

And after a couple of on-off trials with SW12 it does not function properly.

We cannot turn off VC707 board anymore with SW12.

On the other hand, VC707 board still works properly.

Any suggestions? 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Fatih,

I wonder if there was some issues with that adapter cable. Did it ship with your VC707?

However, if you're ok with just disconnecting the power from J18, I don't see anything bad with that. I've seen boards like that before.

Thanks,
Andres

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thank you for the answer

The adapter cable was the one shipped with VC707.

We just want to decrease the number of AC-DC converters in our setup by replacing VC707 adapter with DC taken from PC via ATX Power Supply Adapter Cable.

ATX Power Supply Adapter Cable is also the one shipped with VC707 board.

We are also using a SATA to MOLEX adapter cable to convert SATA DC power in our PC to MOLEX DC power.

Can be any grounding issues regarding PCIe connection between VC707 and PCIe of PC while we turn on VC707 board?

While turning on, can VC707 take too much transient current that can cause voltage drops in the power supply of PC?

0 Kudos