UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant salcock
Participant

VCU118 FMC VADJ EEPROM

I have a commercial FMC card that requires VADJ to be set to 1.8 V. Page 109 of the User Guide states the following:

"At power on, the system controller detects if an FMC module is connected to each interface:

• If no cards are attached to the FMC ports, the VADJ voltage is set to 1.8V.
• When one FMC card is attached, its IIC EEPROM is read to find a VADJ voltage supported by both the VCU118 board and the FMC module, within the available choices of 1.2V, 1.5V, 1.8V, and 0.0V.
• When two FMC cards are attached with differing VADJ requirements, VADJ_1V8 is set to the lowest value compatible with the VCU118 board and the FMC modules, within the available choices of 1.2V, 1.5V, 1.8V, and 0.0V.
• If no valid information is found in the IIC EEPROMs, the VADJ_1V8 rail is set to 0.0V.

The system controller user interface allows the FMC IPMI routine to be overridden and an explicit value can be set for the VADJ_1V8_FPGA rail."

The FMC card's EEPROM was not populated by the manufacturer, but they gave me a binary image and I have written it to the EEPROM.

Unfortunately, VADJ is still 0 V (as confirmed using the SCUI).

I am not familiar with the IPMI standard, but frudump suggests a correctly formatted binary file (output at the end of this post).

I believe that I have programmed the EEPROM correctly, because I have read the contents back using the SCUI. HOWEVER, this only works once after power-up - subsequent reads have an 0x80 address offset, with the first 0x80 values all set to 0xFF. I don't know why this is happening or if it is important.

I don't know how the System Controller interprets the EEPROM data, and I don't know if it's even being read correctly. How can I go about debugging and fixing this?

Thanks,

Steven

frumdump output:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Analog Devices\FRU Tools\fru-dump.exe" fmceeprom_2kbit_1V8_mod.bin -p
read 232 bytes from fmceeprom_2kbit_1V8_mod.bin
DC Load
Output number: 0 (P1 VADJ)
Nominal Volts: 1800 (mV)
minimum voltage: 1710 (mV)
maximum voltage: 3460 (mV)
Ripple and Noise pk-pk 0000 (mV)
Minimum current load 0010 (mA)
Maximum current load 1000 (mA)
DC Load
Output number: 1 (P1 3P3V)
Nominal Volts: 3300 (mV)
minimum voltage: 3130 (mV)
maximum voltage: 3460 (mV)
Minimum current load 0010 (mA)
Maximum current load 3000 (mA)
DC Load
Output number: 2 (P1 12P0V)
Nominal Volts: 12000 (mV)
minimum voltage: 11400 (mV)
maximum voltage: 12600 (mV)
Minimum current load 0000 (mA)
Maximum current load 0000 (mA)
DC Output
Output Number: 3 (P1 VIO_B_M2C)
All Zeros
DC Output
Output Number: 4 (P1 VREF_A_M2C)
All Zeros
DC Output
Output Number: 5 (P1 VREF_B_M2C)
All Zeros

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Scholar trenz-al
Scholar

Re: VCU118 FMC VADJ EEPROM

0 Kudos
Scholar trenz-al
Scholar

Hi

this seems to be like an VCU118 mystery..

there is no reason why the second reading should be the same as first one.

But what is more surprising, how to did program an "unpopulated" eeprom?

0 Kudos
Participant salcock
Participant

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I am programming the EEPROM myself using custom firmware. I am using the SCUI to read it back, in order to verify that I programmed it correctly.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @salcock 

Did you checked xtp447 suitable for your Vivado tool : https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation-navigation/see-all-versions.html?xlnxproducttypes=Boards%20and%20Kits&xlnxdocumentid=XTP447

You can check this SCUI controller document and Set Boot-Up VADJ according to your requirement.

Regards,
Bhushan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Participant salcock
Participant

Hi Bhushan. I know that I can use the SCUI to set the boot-up VADJ - the point is that I want to use the FMC EEPROM to do this automatically. This is because I don't want to have to manually set VADJ for every VCU118 board I use and every FMC card requiring a different VADJ.

0 Kudos
Participant salcock
Participant

I increasingly think that there is a bug in SCUI - I tried a different FMC with a commerically-programmed EEPROM and the SCUI reads it correctly the first time, and incorrectly on all subsequent occasions. I have attached the SCUI log file with two different FMC cards connected simultaneously, and you can see this behaviour. I am using software version 2.30.

Of course, I don't know whether this is related to the problem I am seeing with VADJ, but it does give me confidence that the EEPROMs have been programmed correctly.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @salcock,

1. Please specify the Board Revision version?

2. Which version of SCUI you are using? I mean 2018.3 etc.

3. Please specify the full part number of FMC Cards you are using.  What is the VITA Standard your FMC Cards follow?

FMC Cards VITA Standard should match with Boards FMC Connectors VITA Standard. Then only your FMC Card will be compatible with VCU118 Board. 

4. Just to make sure your board health is fine, can you share your board image showing power good LEDs?

5. Can you check with the FMC card vendor if they have tested the card with Xilinx EVBs? especially with VCU118? 

We will try to test a similar test case on our side and will get back to you.

Regards,

Deepak D N

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please reply or give Kudo or Accept as a Solution.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,
Deepak D N
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please Kudo and Accept as a Solution, If it helps.
0 Kudos
Participant salcock
Participant

Hello Deepak, thanks for your reply. My responses are included below:

1. Please specify the Board Revsion version?
REV2.0

2. Which version of SCUI you are using? I mean 2018.3 etc .

3. Please share the Vivado version and OS Details?
Vivado 2018.2, Windows 10.

4. Have you built your own FMC Card or Bought any 3rd party FMC Cards? Please specify the full part number of FMC Cards you are using. Which VITA Standard your FMC Cards follow(please specify which FMC Card follows which VITA Standard)?
I am not building my own FMC card. I am using the following 3rd party FMC cards:
Trenz TEF0008 (https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/TEF0008+TRM), EEPROM programmed across the FMC via custom firmware on the VCU118, VITA 57.1.
Incaa Computers 4 CH ADC (https://www.incaacomputers.com/products/by-application/scientific/4ch-105-msps-40-mhz-14-bit-adc/), EEPROM programmed by the manufacturer, VITA standard unknown.

It is the Trenz board that I am trying to get to work - I just used the INCAA board to show that the SCUI EEPROM reads weren't working consistently.

FMC Cards VITA Standard should match with Boards FMC Connectors VITA Standard. Then only your FMC Card will be compatible with VCU118 Board.

Please consider below aspects for FMC Card compatibility with VCU18 board: If any of the below conditions you are violating then you will face issues with your FMC Card when you try to use this on VCU118 Board.

> Please ensure that FMC Cards VITA Standard should match with Boards FMC Connectors VITA Standard. VCU118 has 2 VITA Standard for different Connetors, Ensure that FMC Card VITA Standarad is compatible(matching/same) with Boards Connectors(J22/J2) VITA Standard.
The Trenz card is compatible with VITA 57.1. Unfortunately, on the VCU118, the J2 does not connect any GTY transceivers, so I must use J22 instead. There do not appear to be any pin-compatibility problems - when I force VADJ to 1.8 V using the SCUI, the card works correctly.

> Ensure that FMC Card VADJ Voltage scaling is compatible with Boards VADJ Voltages.
I don't understand what this means. The card expects a VADJ of 1.8 V, and when this voltage is supplied, it functions correctly.

> Ensure that FMC Card is compatible with Max LA and HA PAirs, Max clocks etc specified in page 96 and 100 of UG1224 (v1.4). Maximum Number specified in those page 96 and 100, those number of pins are only connected to FPGA, so you can only use those pins for your application.
There do not appear to be any pin-compatibility problems.

>To be fully compliant with the VITA standard, the EEPROM must be programmed according to the IPMI format defined in the VITA FMC specification.
Trenz believe their EEPROM configuration file is compliant. There is a possibility that I have not programmed it correctly into the EEPROM. The first SCUI readback suggests it is fine. Subsequent SCUI readbacks do not (see log file in previous post).

For more information of of FMC Compatibility refer this AR#68377.

5. Without Connecting the FMC Cards, What is the VADJ Voltage you are getting in SCUI GUI?
1.8 V.

6. Which FMC card you are plugging in which Connector(J2/J22)?
I want to plug the Trenz card into J22 for the reasons explained above, but I have also tried it in J2.

7. Please specify the VADJ voltage you are programming to EEPROM of the FMC Cards(both cards) through your custom firmware?
The Trenz card EEPROM is being programmed to 1.8 V.
I am not using my custom firmware with the INCAA card.

8. After connecting the FMC Cards(both Cards) on VCU118 Connector (J2 and J22), please specify me the VADJ Voltage you are able to read through SCUI GUI?
Trenz J22, INCAA J2, 0.03 V

9.Try Connecting Single FMC Card on Board Connector and read the VADJ Voltage through SCUI GUI and share the results?
Trenz J2 0.03 V
Trenz J22 0.03 V
INCAA J2 0.03 V
INCAA J22 0.03 V

Board health debugging Steps:

1. Please share the Power GOOD LEDS Snapshot of Board?
See attachment.

2.Try Establishing JTAG Chain and with FMC Card Plugged in Connectors ? And share the Snapshot of the Vivado Hardware manager.
See attachment.

3. Please go through this VCU118 Debug Checklist and confirm me till Step 4 you are fine?
SW16 is 0001, not 0101. (position 4 is on, positions 1, 2, 3 are off).
I could not locate J5.
All J7 jumpers are present.
I could not locate J29.
DS16 is not on.

4. Please perform BIST Test and share the results, If failing please specify which Step you are failing?

Note : If BIST Test fails, Please perform Flash Restoration(Flash restoration files) and again perform BIST Test and share the results.

BIST completed successfully.

Thanks,vcu118_jtag.JPGvcu118_powerleds.JPG

Steven

0 Kudos
Participant salcock
Participant

It seems that you edited your post whilst I was replying! I not believe that Trenz have tested their FMC card with any Xilinx EVBs. I don't know about INCAA, but as I said in my post above, I was only using this board to check the EEPROM SCUI readback.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @salcock ,

I reproduced your issue at my end. I Checked with VCU118 Rev2 Board and Display port FMC Card which has EEPROM data in it.

When i read back the EEPROM Data(1.8V) through SCUI 2.30 version I got same results, even after 10 repetative reads without power cycle and with power cycle. So there is no issue in our VCU118 Board.

In your case I observed that it is reading correctly two times in starting and afterwards it is showing wrong results(i.e readback data indicated corrupted EEPROM Data in FMC card). And also I observed that 1.2V LED is inactive. But that doesnt affect readback of EEPROM Data.

Regarding the INCAA FMC Card, I copuldnt find the VITA Standard of this. Please contact respective vendor for the same. And please dont use this in VCU118 Board as VITA Standard is unknown.

Please Use only Trenz FMC Card for the below queries of mine. 

Please answer by below qureies:

1. When you are able to readback correctly EEPROM data in first attempt, can you confirm me what is VADJ voltage you are seing in SCUI GUI ? If it is indicating still 0.03V then there is a issue in programming the EEPROM PROM through your Custom Firmware.

2. Please Plug Trenz FMC card in J2 which is FMC57.1 Compatible.

3.Can you again reprogram the EEPROM of Trenz FMC Card and readback the same through SCUI GUI ( do readback 5 times repetatively and share me the results).

Regards,

Deepak D N

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please reply or give kudo or Accept as a Solution.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,
Deepak D N
0 Kudos
Participant salcock
Participant

Hi Deepak, thanks for your reply.

1) VADJ now reads 1.8 V. I am convinced that this is not what I was seeing before. I don't understand why it's now working because I am not aware of having changed anything. I tried booting with the Trenz in J2 and J22 and both worked. I therefore think we can now consider my original problem solved, although it would be good to understand what is going on with the EEPROM readbacks, because they're still not consistent.

3) This yielded the same behaviour as before - the first readback is correct, and all subsequent readbacks have an offset. This behaviour is the same for when the Trenz is plugged into J2 and J22. I have attached the corresponding log files.

Thanks!

Steven

0 Kudos
Participant salcock
Participant

I have now returned from holiday and conducted a more thorough test - the problem has not been solved. Whether it is an intermittent problem and it really was working before I left, or whether I simply made a mistake taking measurements, I cannot say.

It was suggested that the problems I am seeing may be a board fault. For this reason, I have run experiments on three different boards, and they all produce the same (incorrect) results.

Firstly, I read the board serial number. So far, so good.
Secondly, I read the VADJ18 voltage.
Thirdly, I read the relevant FMC EEPROMs.

I repeat these measurements under three test conditions: once with no FMC card, once with the FMC card in J22, and once with the FMC card in J2.

For all three boards, the results show an incorrect VADJ18 reading of around 0 V when no FMC card is connected, and an inconsistent EEPROM reading.

I have attached an archive of the relevant logs.

Please let me know how to proceed,

Steven

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @salcock ,

Since in three Boards it is showing the same results. Issue is there with EEPROM Data provided by the Vendor of the FMC Card(i.e May be problem with EEPROM File given by vendor is not matching with IPMI format defined in the VITA FMC specification). It is not boards issue, it is the EEPROM data issue( i.e Format in which vendor has provided you).

Please ask your vendor to check with our Boards with the same EEPROM File. Hope they will help you, by providing correct EEPROM File.

Since it is working at our end with Different FMC Cards( whose VITA standard matches boards VITA Standard and other specs). It is not board issue.

Hope now you are clear. 

Regards,

Deepak D N

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,
Deepak D N
0 Kudos
Participant salcock
Participant

Surely the format of the EEPROM data shouldn't affect the SCUI readback? Why is the SCUI readback inconsistent?

0 Kudos