cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

ZCU102 Power Reprogramming Failure/Error

Greetings, community!  I did my homework two times, but still can't find anything to point me in the right direction.  Many thanks, in advance, for any help you all can provide...

I have a couple of boards with a couple of different failure modes.  I found a few references in the forums that tell me that power reprogramming is the way to cure their sickness.  I followed the directions in AR#66811 (as I have for other boards before), but I get an error and reprogramming fails.  The error is, "The configuration file you are trying to load is not compatible with the set up. There is a device address mismatch."

I double-checked that I'm using the correct XML file )the latest one), and downloaded it again, just to be sure it wasn't corrupted.  I even tried using an incorrect file (one for another type of board).  Interestingly, it threw the same error -- leading me to believe it's somehow related to the XML file?

Do I need to go bug Maxim, as the source for the XML file?  (Is Maxim the source, or does Xilinx make the file?)  Please, any ideas are welcome...

Thanks, in advance, for whatever ideas, guidance, and support anyone has to offer

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @JeremyMWard ,

Since you are claiming that your board has multiple failures. Please refer this ZCU102 Debug Checklist  which will help you.

And for the error you are getting "The configuration file you are trying to load is not compatible with the set up. There is a device address mismatch", we cant debug further and it is end, since you are getting device address mismatch. I believe you had power issues, hence you have went for power reprogramming and even after providing correct XML File, you are unsuccessful in programming power rails. 

If there is no issues w.r.t Default jumper and switch settings as per Debug Checklist. And there are power issues are there in your board. Please raise a RMA Case to Xilinx to get your board replaced, if your board is under 90 days warranty.

If your board is not under warranty then Whizz Systems are our contract manufacturer and official Xilinx Design Partner.

They are best placed to repair Xilinx Development Systems Products (Boards and Kits) at the cost of the customer.
Please use the following Whizz Systems contact:
Regards,
Deepak D N
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please Kudo and Accept as a Solution, If it helps.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tags (1)
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thank you.  I have used the checklist already and did so again - to assure that is not the issue.  (As I stated, I have successfully power-reprogrammed other boards on previous occasions.)  I cannot get these boards replaced, as they are old.  They are of the age where the factory supplied them with troublesome power programming, hence the need to reprogram.  I am struggling to get the process to work, and get the error identified.

I suppose I have one question -- Can you explain, please, what the error means?  In other words, why do you think there is nothing more to do or learn or try based on the error, "The configuration file you are trying to load is not compatible with the set up. There is a device address mismatch"?

I just want to understand what the error means and why it happens before I totally give up.  I had a hunch that if I could find the older XML files, they might work, but they are no longer available anywhere I checked...

Thanks again for your time, and any explanation you can provide would be most appreciated!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello @JeremyMWard ,

Can you please confirm what exact REV versions are these boards inquestion?

If these are RebA, RevB or RevC, we should be able to provide you with the .xml files corresponding to the Rev in your case.

Can you confirm this please?

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Apologies - I'm probably missing something simple... I have spent some time looking around for the correct AR and can;t remember how to determine the Rev of my boards.  They're stamped "Rev 1.1", but this does not correspond to the Rev you;re referencing.  I think I've figured this out before, but have spent enough time searching in vain and now have to ask you -- can you pleas epoint me to the correct AR / Forum / page to help me figure this out and answer your question?

Thanks, in advance, 

JW

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Greetings, again.  We have determined that we have several boards in need of power reprogramming.  (These go beyond just the ones that have trouble right now.)  As you know, earlier boards were shipped with power programming that required changes post-shipment.  

Therefore, would you be so kind as to make available all of the XML file versions?  (We require XML files compatible with REV versions A, B, and C.  (We already have the one for Rev D, as this one is still readily available on the site.)

Please let me know how I can receive these files.

Thank you again, and as always, for your support on these products we use every day!

JW

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello @JeremyMWard ,

Apologies, only saw your replies now.
As an advice, if you'd like to get someone's attention in a post, please use @ symbol followed by their user name (e.g. @anatoli ) and that way that person would be contacted directly and get a notification of your response. I actually didn't see your response until i manually scanned the posts that have replies.

I've sent these to you via EZmove.

Please try these and see if they help you to reprogram the power on your older ZCU102. Please use the files corresponding to the Revision of your each board.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

@anatoli - Thanks again!

The files were very useful.  I have just the one unanswered question -- For the board(s) that still show the error when attempting power reprogramming,  can you explain to me what the error means?

The error is, "The configuration file you are attempting to load is not compatible with the set up. - There is a device address mismatch."

I think I understand that the error could mean I'm using the wrong file.  I'm not sure what other causes there could be for this error.  

As always, any explanation or guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks again and again!

JW

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello @JeremyMWard ,

TBH, I don't know the answer to this, as I haven't seen this error till now.

Do you see this in the maxim power GUI, right?

Can you please check the version of Maxim power controller on the back side of the board ?

If it’s MAX15301AA02 you can use the XML file provided. There will be several MAX15301 ICs on the back side of the board.

I believe that if version of the XML file and power IC version IC doesn’t match it will show error in the maxim power GUI before programming.

Perhaps indeed, the file you are using to reprogram is for the wrong Revision of the board?

The Board Revision of each Xilinx Evaluation Kit is clearly marked on the silkscreen of that individual board.

This marking is usually found close to the XILINX marking on the PCB of the board.

Here is what you’d see on VCU118 kit:

image.png

Some examples of the Rev marking on other Xilinx Evaluation Kits are shown below:

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Based on the revision found on the board, please use the corresponding XML file provided.

If still seeing this error, please ping Maxim and they should be able to explain more on this error.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

@anatoli 

Thanks again.  We have a couple of boards still giving errors.  These are ZCU102, Rev 1.1.  I am not sure if the files you sent are best for these.  (The files provided are labeled for Rev A, B, C - not for 1.0, 1.1.)

I am trying to follow your directions to determine the Maxim power controller used, but can't find markings indicating anything similar to what you said...  I'm probably just looking in the wrong place. 

I plan top go and bug Maxim next, but I'm sure they're going to ask me about the version, so I will keep trying to find that.

Thanks again, and if I've confused you or had you provide the wrong files, please let me know.  (Again, I'm concerned since the Rev markings on the board don't match the file labels.)

JW

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello @JeremyMWard ,

Please note that Rev 1.1 is the latest production release. The ZCU102 board revisions are Rev A,B,C, D then Rev1.0 and Rev 1.1

Based on the AR66811, indeed, you'd need to use FULL_ZCU102_REVD_ONLY_05122016_FINE_CAL.xml file, as this is the most recent version of this file, so should be also used for Rev 1.1.
I've seen other users reprogramming their Rev 1.1 ZCU102 board with this file, without any issues.

Not sure why in your case you see this "The configuration file you are trying to load is not compatible with the set up. There is a device address mismatch" error.

Let me ask our board dev team and see if they can advice anything else here.

I will update you once there are any updates.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Highlighted

@JeremyMWard ,

Also, can you please check the version of Maxim power controller on the back side of the board ?

If it’s MAX15301AA02, then you should be able to use the XML file given in the answer record. There will be several MAX15301 ICs on the back side of the board.

What do you see in your case?

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Highlighted

I have seen this error a couple times before. In most cases this was due to the Maxim IC being broken beyond getting recognized by the reprogramming flow. If your board qualifies, i would recommend going through our RMA process. You may be able to replace the power IC's for the MAX15301AA02, however the issue may go deeper than that, and more areas might be damaged.