Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

ZCU102 defective?

Hello there,

I'm having trouble with a brand new ZCU102 rev 1.1.

Initially, all was sell, I did some logic development on it, using a ready-made Petalinux SD card  image and programming the FPGA through the sysfs interface.  At the same time, I tried to set up a proper Linux image on another SD card.  All was well until the board was about one week old and I had to test another FPGA bitstream.  The Petalinux I had used for this previously didn't boot (big LED remained red, no output on UARTs).  Switching to QSPI32, it turned out that self-test didn't work either (all GPIO LEDs stayed off).  Leaving the board powered off overnight brought it back to normal, however.

At this time, I also discovered that the FMC VADJ power good LED was off.  Since I already had two FMC cards connected (one AD9250EVM from ADI, the other a Xilinx XM105), I suspected those cards.  When I removed both, the FMC VADJ power good LED turned on.  As soon as I installed any of the two cards into any of the slots, it stayed off again during and after power-up.  During the time the board didn't work (see above), however, the LED stayed off even without an FMC card installed.

First question: is this normal?

Then I figured out that the LED was driven by the MAX15301, which in turn is programmed by the MSP430, which in turn reads the FMC EEPROM.  Since the board was in a rather funny state for a while (see above), I suspected the MSP430, maybe its firmware had been corrupted.  So, since I discovered the MSP430, I've been trying to update its firmware.  As long as the board was broken, the MSP430 wouldn't even respond on its UART, but the next day, when the board started working again, it revealed its version (5 May 2017) as expected.

So, I've been through a whole bunch of versions of the SCUI/BIT tools, two different computers (Win7 and Win10) and different versions of the CP210x drivers, tweaked the interface name strings as required, etc., and just can't manage to update the firmware on the MSP430.  The closest I got was with rdf0382-zcu102-system-controller-c-2019-1.zip, which tells me "Failed to send file" or so, indicating that it managed to discover the UART but failed to program the firmware through it.

Second question: Is this a known bad combination of firmware date, BIT and Vivado versions?  I have Vitis 2019.2.  Do I have to install a different version in order to do this firmware update?  Or what else am I doing wrong?

Third question: if the board behaves like it did, will a firmware update (in case I manage to install one) ever fix it, or is it actually defective?

Thanks a lot for any help!

Regards,

András

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: ZCU102 defective?

Hi András,

Can you provide us the SN for the ZCU102? Please provide all the numbers from the stickers on top of the board.

Thanks,
Andres

Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Andres,

I just sent you a PM.

András

Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Andras,

Let's start by making sure you can use your System Controller.
Are you able to read the temperature with the BoardUI executable?

When you followed the procedure in here:
https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/zcu102/2019_1/xtp433-zcu102-system-controller-c-2019-1.pdf

Where did you get stuck?

Thanks,
Andres

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hi Andres,

In BoardUI, pushing "Run all" unter "Temperatures" only turns the buttons darker, no temperature values appear, no matter how long I wait for them.

In the procedure outlined by xtp433, I got as far as start running tests with BIT.  Yes, I've got the J164 jumpers in place, Silabs drivers are version 6.7, OS tested is both W7 and W10, and I confirmed the BAT file contains the right interface strings for the Silabs UARTs.  I use Vivado 2018.3 now, but have used other versions in the past (2017.2, 2019.1) with exactly the same results.  RDF382 is version 2019.1, but again, I have tried older ones.

When BIT starts running, I enter the data asked for, then press "SYS_CTLR v1.50 RESTORE", and the "DONE" LED lights up green, confirming that the bitstream has been loaded via JTAG. Then, at the point where the MSP430 firmware should be programmed, there is a long pause, then an error appears ("Error: File could not be sent").

I just ran BIT again, please find the full log attached.  Just I ran it today, I noticed that the first step of loading the bitstream took a lot longer than it did before (maybe a minute rather than the few seconds I can remember), and the INIT_B LED flashed red once very briefly in this process (it was green otherwise).

So, here we go.

András

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

When you read the Temperatures, can you untick "Hide Right Pane" on the Layout options and report the output on the Right Pane?

Thanks,
Andres

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @mandras,

After looking through the xtp433, it seems like the firmware needs to be updated. In your post earlier, you said that the firmware date was May 5 2017

On page 9 of xtp433, it asks that any firmware before July 5 2017 should be updated.

Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Here's what appears in the right pane after pushing "Run all".  And yes, the board is on, the UART-over-USB system is working.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Just got the PMBus dongle from Maxim and reprogrammed the power management ICs just in case.  Sadly, nothing has changed, the board is still broken, and the MSP430 firmware update still doesn't work.

I feel let down by Xilinx.  The board is well within warranty, yet I'm no closer to getting a board that works than I was when I first contacted the supplier on 18 March, more than a week ago.  Maxim, in the meantime, sent me their dongle for free even though their products worked as specified.

I have already drawn the attention of the supplier to this thread, so they should be reading all this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

First up I have no relationship to xilinx. 

The fact that when u unplug and plug in the fmc boards the vadj led changes , indicates the fmc have caused a problem.

The fact the board worked later, is cold, but not when warm, implies u have some sort of short there.

The normal cause of this is users .

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Andras, 

Let's circle back to what @philipwu mentioned about updating the System Controller FW.

Can you send us a screenshot of the Terminal displaying the May 2017 version?

From your t.log file, it seems that the Application can't connect to your board through the Serial Port.

Thanks,
Andres

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @mandras

Can you check the ports to see if there is a mismatch? You will need to change the port if this is the case, which can be done in the following way:

• In device manager, check the interface and UART driver name

• In .bat file in the ZCU102 System directory: Change the CP201x to match what the driver names the ports. (i.e. CP2105, CP2108, CP210x)

cd bat
MSP_BSL_Flasher.exe -f
"..\elf\MSP_code_070517.txt" -c "Silicon Labs Quad CP210x USB to UART Bridge:
Interface 0" -v -p

.bat location:
C:<path>\rdf0382-zcu102-system-controller-c-2019-1\zcu102_scui\flash_restore\tests\ZCU102\bat

After completing the above steps, you can update the system controller. Then, you can run a BIT test and share the log with us so we can look more depth in it. 

If there are other issues on the board, you can follow the provided Debug Checklist below to assess its condition: https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/68386.html

This is another reference for a similar issue and solution: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Xilinx-Evaluation-Boards/ZCU102-System-Controller-firmware-update-to-2017-4-failed/m-p/845050

Let me know if you have more questions about these suggestions

Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Andres: I can't read out the version number because the MSP430's UART channel is dead.  Before the board started playing up, it showed me the version correctly, but now it won't respond to anything.

Philip: Yes, I've gone through all that, I can confirm that the drivers are version 6.7 and the names on the bat file match the interfaces.  If they didn't, the log would say something like "couldn't connect to COM" instead of "File could not be sent", so I'm pretty sure I've done everything right.  Again, I tried with both Win7 and Win10, Silabs version 6.7 on both, with the same, negative outcome.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Andras,

Can you send a screenshot of the driver tab in the Device Manager, as below?

Thanks,
Andres

6_7_0_0 driver.png
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Here's a screenshot.

silabs.png
Highlighted

Hi Andras,

Do you have a log from Board Interface Test? Can you share it?
You can download BIT test from the below links:
Tutorial: https://www.xilinx.com/member/forms/download/design-license.html?cid=ef381bff-c447-4222-9049-49b8ea9a6e8b&filename=xtp428-zcu102-bit-c-2019-1.pdf

Test Files:
https://www.xilinx.com/member/forms/download/design-license.html?cid=a4ef9521-b984-4e78-af3e-aa4fb1b2305e&filename=rdf0377-zcu102-bit-c-2019-1.zip

Thanks
Harshit
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

so this is a duplicate thread ?
<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
Highlighted

yes sir thats so true but what can we do about that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks! That log is from System controller restore GUI. Please use the below links to download and run BIT test:-
You can download BIT test from the below links:
Tutorial: https://www.xilinx.com/member/forms/download/design-license.html?cid=ef381bff-c447-4222-9049-49b8ea9a6e8b&filename=xtp428-zcu102-bit-c-2019-1.pdf

Test Files:
https://www.xilinx.com/member/forms/download/design-license.html?cid=a4ef9521-b984-4e78-af3e-aa4fb1b2305e&filename=rdf0377-zcu102-bit-c-2019-1.zip
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

OK, the GUI says, after running "Run All", that ZCU102 RTC, MIG PSDDR4, and UART 01/02 TEST passed, all others failed.  Here's the log from the right pane.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello @mandras ,

Based on the log file, indeed, is it shown that UART tests are passed, however since you've indicated that MSP430's UART channel is still dead, so that the firmware can't be updated and with the fact that you've already obtained a dongle from Maxim and tried to reprogram the power management and the board still not functioning, at this stage, @Adnan , please go ahead and raise a Component RMA SR and please reference this topic, so that the team can see that the debugging part has now completed. The RMA team can then proceed with the next step of the RMA process. If this gets approved or denied, that is up to the RMA team, so we can't promise here anything. The team will need to verify (directly with you) the purchase history etc., to check the warranty period.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Thanks a lot, hope the RMA process goes through.

0 Kudos