Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
miner_tom
Adventurer
Adventurer

ZCU104 does not boot from SD card using pre built image

Jump to solution

I know that this question has been asked several times but so far the responses that I have read have not worked for me.

The "out of the box" self test seems to work fine as in the proper LEDs  (and the "done" led) are lit.

• Did the following:
  • Changed the SW6 configuration to OFF, OFF, OFF, ON as described for SD boot.
  • loaded 2018.3-zcu104-release.tar.xz  and uncompressed the archive.
  • loaded configured a 32GB SD card with a partition, /dev/sdb1.

As instructed on this page https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18841858/Board+bring+up+using+pre-built+images Which gives instructions as to how to bring up the 104 board with pre built images, it says that I

For ZC702/ZC706, you will need to copy below files on to your SD card boot partition: BOOT.BIN and image.ub.

I put those both onto the SD card /dev/sdb1. The result was no lights or anything.

There is an HDMI monitor connected as well, which showed no display.

I believe that somehow I am either not configured correctly or that the pre built image is not the correct one.

Thank You

Tom

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
katsuki
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello,

If you use the file "2018.3-zcu104-release.tar.xz" published in Zynq 2018.3 Release, Linux will start up.

We connect the ZCU104 to a PC with a USB cable and start the terminal software on the PC,  the Linux login prompt will be displayed and you can log-in.

The SD card can be formatted with FAT32 on a Windows PC and just copied "BOOT.bin" and "image.ub".

You can format it using the method described in How to format SD card for SD boot, but you must format it using the following command.

mkfs.vfat -F 32 -n boot / dev / sdc1

Thank you,

Yoichi

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution. If starting with Versal take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our Versal Blogs

View solution in original post

2 Replies
katsuki
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello,

If you use the file "2018.3-zcu104-release.tar.xz" published in Zynq 2018.3 Release, Linux will start up.

We connect the ZCU104 to a PC with a USB cable and start the terminal software on the PC,  the Linux login prompt will be displayed and you can log-in.

The SD card can be formatted with FAT32 on a Windows PC and just copied "BOOT.bin" and "image.ub".

You can format it using the method described in How to format SD card for SD boot, but you must format it using the following command.

mkfs.vfat -F 32 -n boot / dev / sdc1

Thank you,

Yoichi

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution. If starting with Versal take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our Versal Blogs

View solution in original post

miner_tom
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thank you for the reply. I think that I was fighting a couple of problems at the same time.

1. I was formatting the first partition, sdc1, as FAT and then using the dd command to write files. This would mess with the formatting. Using mkfs on top of that would cause further problems. Using cp instead of dd on sdc1 kept things in order. Using dd on a second partition, sdc2, formatted as ext4 does not mess things up. So, cp only with a FAT formatted partition.
  2. Only 16 GB SD cards seemed to work for me. With larger cards the formatting "looked" ok but the board would not boot. I don't know why.

Tom

0 Kudos