UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor carolinac
Visitor

Zynq vs FPGA 7 series for high speed ADC and DAC

Hello,

I need to work with high performance ADCs and DACs (high speed, low noise and high resolution) but I am not sure about what platform has the best performance in terms of data processing and tools. I would like to use a Zynq because I think it can solve the issues about data transfer between the FPGA-processor and I could use the tools offered by the operating system, but I am not sure if maybe the FPGA 7 series or even the ultrascale can give me more advantages.

I have given a look at the evaluation kits of ZC706 and KU105 also because I need compatibility with the JESD204B protocol.

Can you please give me a suggestion?

Thank you,

Carolina.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Instructor
Instructor

Re: Zynq vs FPGA 7 series for high speed ADC and DAC

You didn't say how fast you need to run, but the basics are that Zynq comes in two flavors.  One is the low-end parts that have the same fabric as Artix-7.  The other is the higher end parts with the same fabric as Kintex-7.  So unless you wanted to move to Virtex-7 or UltraScale, I don't see a really pressing need to move away from Zynq.  One thing you can get with the Artix or Kintex is a larger fabric, if that helps your application.  However if you decide you really want to have a processor embedded in the device, then that larger fabric will get smaller due to the resources used by the MicroBlaze.

Also remember that for low-noise you'll need to be careful to shield your ADC and DAC from the noisy environment of whatever logic device you choose.  This especially means that the FPGA should not drive the sampling clock.  Any clock driven by an FPGA will have too much jitter.

-- Gabor
Visitor carolinac
Visitor

Re: Zynq vs FPGA 7 series for high speed ADC and DAC

Thank you for your information.

I will work with ADCs of 1GSPS and input signals of about 250MHz. The main goal of the project is phase noise detection with low uncertanty, then I need a platform capable to process an important quantity of data flow.

Thank you again.

Carolina.
0 Kudos