cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lwjiee
Visitor
Visitor

spartan 3e starter kit usb-jatg configuration

Now i study Spartan 3e starter kit, in the development environment ISE 7.1i  (update to service pack 4).  When i use usb cable connect the development board to the computer, IMPACT can't find chips.

Is my vision of ISE too low? or i need setup usb cable driver?

Thank you!

Best regards!

Message Edited by lwjiee on 10-22-2009 09:15 AM
0 Kudos
7 Replies
austin
Scholar
Scholar

Whose USB cable are you using?

If you are using the Digilent cable, check their instructions.

I you are using the Xilinx cable, check our instructions.

ISE 7.1 did (does) support Spartan 3E.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
lwjiee
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks!

I am using Digilent cable, i am confused of this Paragraph in ug230 (Spartan-3E FPGA Starter Kit Board User Guide), in page 29.

"After installing the Xilinx software, connect the square Type B connector to the Spartan-3E FPGA Starter Kit board, as shown in Figure4-4. The USB connector is on the left side of the board, immediately next to the Ethernet connector. When the board is powered on, the Windows operating system should recognize and install the associated driver software."

My Windows operating didn't recongnize the device, and displayed a new "Unknown USB Device" in Equipment Authority. Is there any wrong?

After board is connected properly, the iMPACT programming software can't recognizes the three devices in the JTAG programming file.

Best regards!

0 Kudos
austin
Scholar
Scholar

lw,

OK, now I know a little more.  As you mention, there is a DIgilent cable, which is not supported by Impact, and then there is the built in USB programmer on the starter kit pcb, whish is supported by Impact.

Your system does not recognize the usb port on the starter kit pcb.

Have you checked header J30 (JTAG), and have the port selected for use on the starter kit?

If the on board USB is selected, and it still isn't working, then this is a (all too frequent) Windows issue with USB devices in general.  I suggest you troubleshoot it like any other USB issue with Windows (follow the Microsoft debug tree in their documentation).  Sometimes you need to remove USB drivers, and force Windows to scan for new devices.  Once it finds the start kit pcb, it will then ask for the driver, or scan to see where it might be.

I won't ask if you have the power on, on the starter kit, as I will assume you already realized that the USB will not work if the power is off on the board,

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
lwjiee
Visitor
Visitor

Now I useing the ISE WebPack 10.1 (i used ISE 7.1i before),  the computer can identfy the borad, this issue is resolved.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
cenkalbayrak
Observer
Observer

Hi Iwjiee,

Could you send me the development environment ISE 7.1i  please? or Could you say me where i can download it?

0 Kudos
lwjiee
Visitor
Visitor

0 Kudos
cenkalbayrak
Observer
Observer

Thank you so much
0 Kudos