Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

zcu102 BoardUI Error

Jump to solution

Hi,

I recently purchased the zcu102 board and wanted to change the Si570 clock.

However, the zcu102's board user interface did not work. 
So I searched numerous articles on the forum. (driver 6.7, @ver check ok, .. etc, all setting is correct)
Target connection is possible in Vivado and fpga program is also possible.

Please find attached files.

I think your program seems to have a problem.
Can you patch ascii to use UTF-8 encoding to support multiple languages?
or is there another way to change the clock setting of Si570? I use the baremetal program. I have no plans to use linux.

The error message indicates that the problem occurred because the ascii code could not be converted.

Thank you

Tags (1)
driver.jpg
error.jpg
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi, @anatoli 

I don't know if it's correct, but I think I found the cause.

The BoardUI program seems to use Python.
I installed and tested Python's Serial module, pyserial on a PC that doesn't work BoardUI program.
My environment was Python 3.7, pyserial was 3.4, and my program correctly recognized the COM port.
I searched github's closed issue for pyserial and found the same encoding problem.

https://github.com/pyserial/pyserial/issues/237

The issue was closed on July 20, 2017.
Therefore, pyserial 3.3 was installed. As a result, it worked fine.

I decided to change the environment again.
Because I thought I could see this error. I installed python version 2.7.18 and pyserial version 3.3.
When I ran the same python code,
I got the error UnicodeEncodeError:'ascii' codec can't encode characters in position 0-1: ordinal not in range(128).

It is still an assumption, but it seems to have found the cause.
If the BoardUI program is based on python2.7, may be recompiling with 3.7 seems to solve the error problem.

But I still don't know what causes it in the same version of windows10

Thank you.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted

Hello @suguri ,

If you clicked <File> -> <Change the System Controller Port > and change the port, do you see any better outcome or the same error is still seen?

Can you check and see if the board is detected by the Board User Interface?

To see if the boars is detected, you can just navigate to the Voltage/Power (under System Controller) and do the Run All, and this should then detect the voltages/power on the board.

E.g.

image.png

Also, if you navigate to About, you can click on Get Version, and it will show you the firmware version found on the ZCU102 board itself.

Here is the example screenshot of ZCU111 (as I don’t have access to ZCU102 right now):

image.png

Therefore, under System Controller, please check the above (Voltages/Power/About etc.), as that is the easy way to checking that the BoardUI has contact with the board.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi @anatoli 

The error message shown in the attached file is displayed when I access File -> Change the System Controller Port in BoardUI.exe
and the attached file is an error message that appears when trying to read the voltage and firmware version..

Therefore, when a command is executed by clicking a button, all the buttons are already disabled.

When I go back to the beginning, I can't find the System Controller Port, so I get into a state where nothing can run.

Thank you.

error1.jpg
error2.jpg
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi,

I installed the 2019.1 Vivado lab edition and the 6.7 USB driver on another computer without Xilinx software installed.

Connection was possible and successful. 

I have confirmed that it works on Windows10 (Korean) and it is probably not a UTF-8 encoding problem and there is some reason the program cannot find the COM port.

I hope to fix the bug in the program.

Language : Korean

Tool : Xilinx Lab Edition 2019.1, rdf0377-zcu102-bit-c-2019-1 (System controller)

USB Driver : CP210x_VCP_Windows.zip file (Windows7 driver)

Thank you

Highlighted

Hello @suguri ,

Thanks for the update on this.

Glad you were able to overcome this issue using another machine.

We have noticed a good few other posts with the same/similar issue, e.g.:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Xilinx-Evaluation-Boards/ZCU102-BOARD-UI-test-failed/m-p/1022093/highlight/true#M24185https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Xilinx-Evaluation-Boards/ZCU111-System-Controller-GUI-doesn-t-work/td-p/892196https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Xilinx-Evaluation-Boards/Problem-about-System-Controller-GUI-of-VCU128-board/td-p/1122764https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Xilinx-Evaluation-Boards/zcu102-BoardUI-Error/m-p/1126176#M28571https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Xilinx-Evaluation-Boards/SCUI-FPGA/td-p/1033483https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Xilinx-Evaluation-Boards/SCUI-warning-message/m-p/1120485

I've noticed that in a good few of these issues, the customer's machine is on a different language (e.g. Chinese or Korean like in your case).
I believe there might be something related to the text strings, since your Windows OS is on a different language? However, in your case, both machines are in Korean language and on one, it work and on another - it doesn't. So, it is still not clear of the root cause, however indeed, for some reason looks like the the program cannot find the COM port and hence users see this error.

We are investigating this issue further and hopefully we can soon  identify an actual root cause of this issue.

Thanks once again for your feedback and have a nice day.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi, @anatoli 

I don't know if it's correct, but I think I found the cause.

The BoardUI program seems to use Python.
I installed and tested Python's Serial module, pyserial on a PC that doesn't work BoardUI program.
My environment was Python 3.7, pyserial was 3.4, and my program correctly recognized the COM port.
I searched github's closed issue for pyserial and found the same encoding problem.

https://github.com/pyserial/pyserial/issues/237

The issue was closed on July 20, 2017.
Therefore, pyserial 3.3 was installed. As a result, it worked fine.

I decided to change the environment again.
Because I thought I could see this error. I installed python version 2.7.18 and pyserial version 3.3.
When I ran the same python code,
I got the error UnicodeEncodeError:'ascii' codec can't encode characters in position 0-1: ordinal not in range(128).

It is still an assumption, but it seems to have found the cause.
If the BoardUI program is based on python2.7, may be recompiling with 3.7 seems to solve the error problem.

But I still don't know what causes it in the same version of windows10

Thank you.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Hello @suguri ,

Thanks for the info. That indeed looks like could be the root cause of this error.

I will share this workaround/solution with other users who have reported this issue and if they can overcome this problem by following your suggestion, I will then create a Public Answer Record and get this officially documented, as indeed, the root cause is still unknown until now.

Thanks once again for letting us know, as this would definitely be beneficial to other users with the same error. We really appreciate your help on this matter.

Have a nice day.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support