cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

ERROR: [BD 41-85] Exec TCL - Illegal Name: The name 'unconstrained_adder__0' is illegal, it should not contain '__'

Hello,

I am following steps as in video to package an IP. I called the project - "unconstrained_adder_8bit".

The IP was created with name - unconstrained_adder_8bit_v1.0

After packaging the IP, I tried to instantiate it in a block design.

It does not allow me to add the IP from the IP cataloge with the below error - 

startgroup
create_bd_cell -type ip -vlnv xilinx.com:user:unconstrained_adder_8bit:1.0 unconstrained_adder__0
ERROR: [BD 41-85] Exec TCL - Illegal Name: The name 'unconstrained_adder__0' is illegal, it should not contain '__'
ERROR: [BD 5-7] Error: running create_bd_cell -vlnv xilinx.com:user:unconstrained_adder_8bit:1.0 -type ip -name unconstrained_adder__0 .
ERROR: [Common 17-39] 'create_bd_cell' failed due to earlier errors.
endgroup

Can you please help with this ?

Thanks and best regards

Bhawandeep Singh

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted

@bhawandeep_singh 

Your bd cell -name has double underscore character (unconstrained_adder__0)  which is causing the error: Use the following TCL command which should create the bd cell:

create_bd_cell -vlnv xilinx.com:user:unconstrained_adder_8bit:1.0 -type ip -name unconstrained_adder_0

Also I would suggest to follow the official Xilinx tutorial on packaging an IP. Check UG1118 below. Follow the tutorial as per the Vivado version:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation-navigation/see-all-versions.html?xlnxproducttypes=Design%20Tools&xlnxdocumentid=UG1118 

--Syed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Vivado will only use the first 20 characters of your IP name when adding your IP block.

When you tried to add your block it generated the following TCL command
create_bd_cell -type ip -vlnv xilinx.com:user:unconstrained_adder_8bit:1.0 unconstrained_adder__0

The name is the last parameter of the command and you can see it's been truncated to 20 characters "unconstrained_adder_".

Vivado automatically appends an instantiation instance suffix onto the name "_0".

Because the last character of your name was an underscore and the suffix starts with an underscore, it created a double underscore condition.

The take away from this is to ensure that your IP name doesn't contain and underscore for it's 20th character. Maybe Xilinx will fix this someday?

0 Kudos