Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
betontalpfa
Explorer
Explorer

Target hardware indipendent IP generation needed - feature request

Hi All,

What I need?

I need two additional option during configuring any IP in GUI.

1. Specify target device at compile time as generic (instead of generating new xci for new targets)
  2. Specify location at compile time as constraint. (instead of generating new xci for each location.)

Use case:

1. Specify target device at compile time as generic

I have a design which has several variant. Each variant has different target FPGA devices. It's hard to migrate all changes between the two variants, because I need to regenerate all IPs for all target FGPA. What's more, nothing guarantees that the XCIs are configured same. (Human error can occur.)

Another use case is the cost reducing / feature addition upgrade, when a product should choose a bigger / smaller FPGA device. And again the migration is not automatic.

So I need a checkbox for advanced users to say: "I want to generate this IP with no target-device."

2. Specify location at compile time as constraint.

All interface IPs' (ETH, PCIe, Aurora, etc) GUI ask to specify location at IP-configuration (ie. select in the GUI). While the placement of these IPs is not a relevant decision here.

Let's implement an ETH switch (just for example) I want to instantiate several ETH IPs into different location. I don't want to regenerate all IPs n-times. I want to place the same IP into different location. I want to specify the location in the implementation-constraint file (during compile time). (Note that I can do this with some constraint tricks, but I get "...because the bel is occupied by..." critical warnings for each IP.)

Another use-case: I want to use PCIe in-non default transceiver channel, while the default channel want to be used for another IP. In this case XCI will want to specify everything, which will results implementation error. (Note again: I can do this with some constraint tricks, but I get "...because the bel is occupied by..." critical warnings for each IP.)

So I need a checkbox for advanced users to say: "I want to generate this IP with no location, I will specify location in implementation-constraint."

Benedek

0 Kudos
0 Replies